It’s Raining Cash on Indian Cricketers after Twenty20 World Cup Triumph The cricket crazy nation, India celebrates its memorable victory in the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup. Cricket is considered as a religion in India and the cricketers are worshipped as gods. It was evident when the triumphant team returned from South Africa.
Not only they got a grand welcome, but also gifts and cash prizes were showered on them like flowers. According to unconfirmed sources, some of Indian cricketers have already booked international luxury real estate houses. they became richer and richer overnight, thanks to T20. Here’s a list of the prize money and gifts received by the Indian cricketers so far.
1) the Indian team received a prize money worth $490,000 for winning the Twenty20 World Cup.
2) the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) announced a prize money of $3 million (Rs 12 crore) for the team. Each member got a check of Rs 80 lakhs.
3) a special cash reward of Rs 1 crore given to Yuvraj Singh for his 6 sixes in an over.
4) the support staff including the Manager, Bowling Coach, Fielding Coach and Physio got Rs 15 lakhs each.
5) Lalit Modi, Vice President of BCCI gifted a Porsche car to Yuvraj Singh on his personal capacity.
6) Neosport presented a Mercedes car to R P Singh for excellent bowling performance in the tournament.
7) Sahara India has announced to give flats (worth Rs 25 lakhs = $62,500) to each cricketer.
the Delhi government has decided to offer free Air services to all members of Team India for 5 years.
9) Air India and Indian Airlines announced out-of-turn promotion for some cricketers including Dhoni, Uthappa, Gambhir and Harbhajan Singh. they will also get a steep hike in their salary.
10) the Haryana government has given Rs 21 lakhs to Joginder Singh.
11) the Karnataka government has announced a cash reward of Rs 5 lakhs each for player Robin Uthappa and bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad.
12) Maharashtra government has announced a reward of Rs. 10 lakhs each for Ajit Agarkar and Rohit Sharma.
13) Virender Sewhag and Gautam Gambhir will receive Rs 5 lakhs each from the Delhi government.
14) the Kerala government has announced a cash reward of Rs 5 lakhs for S Sreesanth.
15) the Baroda Cricket Association has handed over checks worth Rs 11 lakhs each to Pathan brothers – Irfan Pathan and Yusuf Pathan. In addition, they also received Rs 5 lakhs each from the Gujarat government.
16) RP Singh became the first recepient of the Manyavar Kanshiramji International Sports Award that carries a reward of Rs 10 lakhs.
17) the Jharkhand Government has bestowed the first “Jharkhand Ratna” award on Mahendra Singh Dhoni. According to the Chief Minister of the state, Dhoni will get a “surprise gift” on arrival.
18) the Union government has decided to give Z+ Security cover to M S Dhoni. Although it’s not an award, only few eminent and VVIP persons in the country receive such security cover.
10 lakh = 1 millon
1 crore = 100 lakhs or 10 million
1 lakh = 100 thousand
5 lakh = 1/2 million